Thursday, August 19, 2010

Confusion Over Obama's Faith

In one of the most recent survey efforts by the Pew Research Center and the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, the American public has indicated some confusion over the President's faith.  Apparently, more than 40% of the American public does not know what the President believes.  This is up significantly from last year's survey.  I could probably offer a number of reasons for the change and for the confusion about the President's faith.  However, that is not my point today.  Suffice to say that there are questions and confusion that centers around his beliefs.  And, it is probably true that his actions and words have done nothing to clarify his belief system.  However, the deeper question for you and me is not whether the American people know what the President believes, but rather the real question is whether my circle of family, friends and acquaintances can look at me and know what I believe?

I profess to be a follower of Jesus Christ, but does this belief system drive what my life looks like?  How would the people around me respond if asked about my beliefs?  Would they be able to say without question that he is a follower of Jesus Christ, no matter what or would they respond by saying that I was a Christ-follower except when life got hard?  Would they say that he really stands out as an honest, dependable employee who always gives more than others?  Would my family say, he would give up his life for his beliefs and for us?  Would my church family agree that I have a passion for God's Word and His work? 

The worst possible answer I can imagine, to the question about my beliefs, would be "We are confused about his beliefs!"  Wouldn't that really be an indictment of my lack of trust and obedience to God?  It would be much like the indictment of the church at Laodicea "So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16)"  It is my prayer that we always live so that there is no confusion about our faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment