Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Real Legacy

I have known a number of individuals who have through their lives touched my life and the lives of others.  Any of you who have read my blog know that my dad was such a man, but this post is about two men who have not only touched my life, but the lives of thousands.  They are building a legacy that will last through all eternity.

A little more than a week ago, Anita and I had the opportunity to celebrate an anniversary...not ours, but the 15th anniversary of Chad Selph being called to come to First Baptist Church of Allen, Texas.  Chad was his usual modest self, who was probably not as comfortable in the "spotlight" as he is in the pulpit where he shines the spotlight on our Lord and Savior.  In honor of Chad, the church asked another pastor to speak from the pulpit, Jack Riddlehoover.  As I celebrated this special time with Chad, the Lord impressed again on my heart how He uses His people to impact the lives of others.  You see, both Chad and Brother Jack have had an amazing impact on my life.

In 1976, Brother Jack stood in front of me and a beautiful, godly young woman and pronounced us man and wife.  Anita and I have always said that the choice of your spouse is the second most important decision you will ever make.  In my case, it was a great decision (hers...probably not so much!)  I can remember almost every word that Brother Jack told us during our counseling session with him.  He offered Biblical advice on marriage that has served us both very well.  Now, that would certainly be enough impact for anyone to make my top 5 list, but it goes on!  What I did not know was that the first full-time ministry position my good friend and former pastor, Chad, held was under Brother Jack.  I do not believe in coincidence like this!  I should have realized the same qualities that draw people to Brother Jack are also evident in Chad.  You might ask what those qualities would be.  Well, I am glad you asked!  When I look at these two men, I see:
  • A dependence on their Father and a love for Him that controls their entire lives;
  • A love for their families that is an example of Christ's love for the church;
  • A heart for bringing people to the Gospel;
  • A heart for ministering to God's people; and
  • An ability and desire to see everything through an eternal perspective.
Chad and Brother Jack have impacted people throughout the world, by bringing them the message of the Gopsel.  They have mentored others who have done the same, thereby extending their own impacts to many other lives!

I have heard Chad say that at the end of his life, he wants his family to know that he loved God and loved them and that the best he can pray for them is that they do the same.  I believe that is an impact we would all do well to desire!  Anita and I love both of these men dearly and we are blessed and honored to have been two of the lives they have impacted!

No comments:

Post a Comment